If you notice that your pet is not drinking water, it can cause anxiety. After all, no creature can do without liquid. And just imagine how difficult it is for a cat to be active all day and not drink. There are reasons for this behavior, and we will try to understand them. We will also answer the question of how to fix this situation and make the cat drink water.
Why doesn’t your pet drink water?
Each owner, of course, understands the importance of caring for the proper nutrition and well-being of the pet. Drinking is the key to maintaining the health of the body. Interestingly, cats do not drink water as often as humans. But it is still necessary to restore the water balance. Before you train cats to drink water, we recommend that you read the advice of experienced cat owners.
First, choose a good bowl. The fact is that dishes of a small volume or made of low-quality material can scare an animal away from drinking. In the first case, the mustache (vibrissae) can interfere with the pet. In the second, the smell or toxicity of the material. For example, utensils made of plastic can taste or smell. As you know, cats have a very good sense of smell. Therefore, if you are inclined to believe that the cat does not like to drink water for this very reason, rather change the dishes to new ones. Alternatively, you can choose a glass, aluminum, or ceramic wide bowl.
Another option for why cats don’t drink water from a bowl is to place it next to food. Yes, in nature everything is arranged so that animals do not drink where they eat. Some explain this by saying that a plate of liquid placed next to a food bowl will be perceived as food. In addition, for the animal, it may seem not entirely clean due to its proximity to the dishes for the “main courses”. In this case, we recommend that you place the bowl of water in a different place. To begin with, you can choose several locations and arrange the liquid dishes throughout the apartment. One bowl, for example, can be placed in the hall, another in the bedroom, and the third on the balcony. As soon as you notice that the pet has chosen one of them, the rest can be removed. It is important that the drinking container is not located in the place of the passage or in drafts.
The next reason why the cat does not drink water from the bowl is that it may not be well washed. If a person weakly feels it, cats have a heightened sense of smell. In terms of taste, the opposite is true. But if there are residues of detergent in the bowl or not quite freshwater, the pet will feel it. For prevention purposes, the water should be changed at least once a day. And it is also important to know such information. In nature, cats prefer to drink water from flowing streams.
How to teach a cat to drink water from a bowl
Probably, many owners can complain about this problem. In nature, a cat is also accustomed to the fact that it receives liquid while hunting for rodents. If the pet is at home, then it eats completely different food. In the diet of cats can be porridge, boiled minced meat. If your pet eats dry food, which can also be an acceptable solution, if you do not have the opportunity to constantly cook, you need to take care of the pet’s drinking.
To train your cat to drink water:
- Choose a comfortable dish. We talked about this in more detail earlier, considering why the cat does not drink water from a bowl;
- Change the liquid in the dishes daily;
- Mix water with dry food, add it to cat dishes, milk, and so on;
- Buy ready-made canned food that contains water;
- If your cat doesn’t have throat problems, you can put an ice cube in the bowl. The cat will lick it and get moisture in this way;
- The instincts of animals determine their behavior in such a way as to drink running water. If your cat is low on fluids, try tap water training. To do this, turn on the water slightly and help the cat to sit down so that it is comfortable;
- Also, for this reason, we recommend taking a closer look at a very interesting device – a fountain with circular water circulation. In some devices, it is filtered. There are also models that turn on when the cat comes up;
- If the cat does not drink plain water, mix it with fish broth.
In any case, you need to accustom the cat to water. Correct drinking keeps the body functioning. If there are a lot of dry foods in the cat’s diet, the liquid is an irreplaceable component. When training, consider important rules, as well as the need to select the correct container.
Now let’s summarize the above and add some interesting points to the information. Of course, there are certain requirements for water. Although some cats still surprise us with the fact that they can drink dirty water outside, or even climb into the toilet. In the event that you notice such behavior in animals, try to be patient to retrain them. In fact, water is very important for the health of the animal’s body. Of course, it is sometimes very difficult to train an animal to drink. If you still have trouble getting your cat to water, try our other tips. We examined them above.
We also recommend that you consider the following points:
- The temperature of the liquid in the bowl. In nature, wild cats are accustomed to drinking water from streams or other sources. Of course, such predators are more adapted to survival conditions. At home, you need to give water at room temperature. It is important to know that sometimes animals may have throat problems;
- Purity. Tap water may not always come up. Moreover, in different regions, its quality may differ significantly. Even a human being can sense chlorine impurities. And what can we say then about pesticides, metals, and sedimentary material? Of course, drinking tap water can help build immunity. But take into account the moment, how clean the water is in your area and whether it is suitable for drinking;
- Foreign odors. A cat will not drink water from a bowl if it contains odors that are unpleasant to its receptors. For example, chemicals or the smell of the bowl itself, well-washed food debris, or stagnant water. Therefore, pay attention to the cleanliness and the washing process;
- How often to change. Make sure that the water does not stagnate for a long time and is not dirty during the day. Change it once a day, sometimes more often.
The origin of the cat is associated with its African history. It was in Egypt that these animals were revered most of all, they were looked after, kept clean, tidy, extolled. Weakened craving for water, the feeling of thirst is associated with the continued need for a small amount of water on a dry continent. But we know how important it is for a cat to drink. Therefore, you need to replenish the water balance through drinking or food.
Every owner wants the cat to be healthy. Satisfaction of the daily need for water (1.5-2 times more food intake, especially if it is dry food) helps to normalize metabolic processes, prevent stagnant processes and possible infections of the genitourinary system. Cats love to drink water from fountains, so if your pet is actively asking for water from the tap, you can buy such a device for him.
Sometimes cats drink liquid from non-standard containers, such as buckets, sinks, or mugs. If you have the opportunity to give your pet such a drinking item, fill it up with plenty of water and put it in an accessible place. In summer, you can collect a wide bowl and leave it on the balcony.